Name: Karen Welch
School: Boldmere Junior School
Assistant Head teacher
Area of Specialism
- Teaching and Learning
- Newly qualified teacher development
- Leadership of Curriculum
- Emotional literacy and behaviour management
- Possible areas of support
I believe that children and learning should be at the forefront of system leadership. I am motivated by the belief that all children are entitled to the best education we can offer regardless of where they live or the school that they attend. I see system leadership as a model that allows schools to share good practice, develop key elements within schools and raise standards. As part of a teaching school alliance, I have had the privilege to be in a school that is committed to the moral purpose to support other schools and teachers, with the children at the heart of it’s motivation. I feel that peer to peer support is a highly effective tool in empowering and equipping others with the skills to make their own changes. I have seen first hand how peer to peer support, coaching and developing leaders can have a direct impact on raising standards and feel that this is an effective model for school improvement.
Areas of Support
- Individual Lesson observation analysis and programmes of support to raise teaching from required to improve to good or outstanding.
- Peer support using modelling, team teaching and coaching.
- Whole school support in planning and monitoring the development of the new curriculum or teaching and learning, which are specific to the context of the school.
- I am a fully trained facilitator of the OTP and ITP and have an in depth knowledge and understanding of teaching and learning linked with the most current Ofsted criteria.
- Whole school teaching and learning analysis to identify strengths and areas of development to create training which meets school needs and raises standards in teaching and learning.
- Development of middle leaders to implement change using their strengths to action plan and implement sustainable change.
- NQT mentoring support and CPD programmes.
- I have led and developed staff through inset and CPD in emotional literacy and behaviour management to change the ethos and culture of classrooms and schools.